Diploma in Elementary Education (D. El. Ed)
D.El.Ed is a 2-year full-time diploma course to train teachers for primary level teaching, ie, from class I to VIII. D.El.Ed stands for Diploma course in Elementary Education and covers the teaching methods of children between the ages of 6 to 14.The 2-year D.El.Ed syllabus is divided into 4 semesters and has been designed to enhance the educational qualities techniques and new teaching methods.
The AISHE (All India Survey on Higher Education) portal states that out of 7.2% of students enrolled at the Diploma level in India, the majority of students are enrolled in Teacher Training Courses.
The D.El.Ed qualification has been made mandatory for primary teachers after the passage of the “Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017”. D.El.Ed courses can be obtained through both regular as well as online mode. Read how you can pursue D.El.Ed. Distance Education.
What is the Eligibility for D.El.Ed?
There are some basic requirements to enroll in the D.El.Ed course. The eligibility is more or less the same for all the states. However few states may have specific requirements that vary. The candidates must check the details before applying for admission in the D.El.Ed course.
The general requirements are stated below:
- The lower age limit to apply for the D.El.Ed courses usually range between 17 to 18 years whereas the upper age limit can range from 34 to 35 years.
- Candidates should have cleared 10+2 from a recognized board of education with 50% or higher marks (applicable only for general category students).
- Applicants from the reserved categories such as the SC, ST, and OBC are given 5% relaxation in the Higher Secondary Examination marks. In such cases, candidates are supposed to produce their reservation certificates along with the other required documents.
- The Higher Secondary Examination marks will only be considered even if the applicant is a graduate.
- Some states and institutes conduct their own entrance examinations, hence aspirants must clear such exams for D.El.Ed admission.
Untrained teachers who are already working at government primary or upper primary schools can also apply for the D.El.Ed course.